Jackson, Mississippi Divorce Visitation Refusal

Malouf & Malouf, PLLC helps divorcing couples in Jackson, Mississippi draft parenting plans that can work for them and that are in the best interests of their children. Once a parenting plan has been finalized by the courts, both parents are expected to honor its provisions. However, sometimes situations arise that may result in a modification of a parenting plan. What happens if your children no longer want to visit with their non-custodial parent? What happens if the non-custodial parent frequently is a no-show for visitation meetings? These situations can be challenging for children and parents alike. Children can be devastated if their parent doesn’t show up for visitation. And sometimes divorce is so fraught and conflict-ridden that children become angry or alienated from one of their parents. In certain situations, children may not want to visit with a parent because of a history of abuse or violence. It is important to understand that not honoring a parenting plan can have legal ramifications for the custodial parent. What can you do if your child doesn’t want to visit the non-custodial parent or if the non-custodial parent is a no show? Before stopping visitation and before you stop trying, you may want to speak to the divorce lawyers at Malouf & Malouf in Jackson, Mississippi. Our divorce attorneys can review your situation, help you understand your rights, and may be able to assist you with modifying your parenting plan so that it works best for your family and your children. It is important to understand that stopping visitation without going to court can have legal ramifications for the custodial parent, so before you make any decisions, you may want to speak to a family lawyer at Malouf & Malouf in Jackson, Mississippi today. What Can You Do If Your Child Doesn’t Want to Visit His or Her Parent for Visitation? Legally, a parent is required to honor the visitation schedule in place, but the child’s best interests must also be considered. The best first step is to ask your child why he or she doesn’t want to visit his mom or dad. Sometimes there might be a solution that can be worked out by both parents and the child, and sometimes the custodial parent may learn something disturbing, like allegations of abuse or violence. Older children may be more likely to refuse visitation. This can happen in cases of contentious or conflicted divorce. Sometimes children can become alienated from one parent during the divorce proceedings. If anger or fear is an issue, parents may want to seek counseling for their children. According to the Journal of Clinical Psychology, children who witnessed their parents’ difficult divorce can sometimes refuse to see one of the parents. Parents who want to heal these rifts may seek counseling for the family and for the children. Sometimes this can help. But what if your child still doesn’t want to see his or her mom or dad? What happens if you learn that your child is being abused, or is scared to visit his or her other parent? In cases like this, you may need to seek a modification of child custody. Malouf & Malouf is a divorce law firm in Jackson, Mississippi that may be able to assist you with seeking a child custody modification. If you are worried for your child’s safety, you have a right to protect your child, and no child should be forced to be in a situation that he or she doesn’t want or that could potentially harm him or her physically or psychologically. What Happens if the Other Parent Doesn’t Show Up to Visitation? It can be difficult if you do everything to honor the visitation schedule you worked out with the other parent and the parent doesn’t show up. This can be emotionally disturbing for the child, and can be especially frustrating for the custodial parent who is setting aside time to promote the child’s relationship with both parents. What can you do in this case? First, you can reach out to the other parent and see if he or she needs flexibility with visitation. As long as you document and formally agree to these changes, this may be able to improve the other parent’s ability to see your child. Sometimes parenting plans need flexibility as circumstances change. Honoring this can sometimes help and prevent no shows from happening. But what happens if the other parent doesn’t show up, doesn’t communicate, and you fear this is harming your child? Frequent no shows like this can be frustrating and saddening for both children and custodial parent. In this case, your only option may be to seek a child custody modification. The divorce lawyers at Malouf & Malouf in Jackson, Mississippi may be able to assist you with seeking a modification that can work for your family. Document the instances where the parent didn’t show up, and then consider reaching out to a divorce lawyer today to help. We are here to help you modify your parenting plan if needed. Reach out to our divorce law firm today or connect with us by reaching out to USAttorneys.com.
Categories: Distracted Driving