Fault-Based Grounds for Divorce

Insight from Our Jackson Divorce Attorneys

If the parties are unable to agree on a divorce of irreconcilable differences, then one party must file a complaint for divorce based on fault grounds. There must be sufficient evidence to persuade the judge that one or more of Mississippi’s 12 fault-based grounds for divorce are present.

A party may file a fault-based divorce and present evidence for issues that would justify the divorce. If the parties later agree on the divorce, then the fault grounds can be withdrawn and a divorce of irreconcilable differences may be entered.

For help with your case from our skilled Jackson divorce attorneys, contact the Law Offices of Malouf & Malouf, PLLC today.

The 12 Grounds for Fault-Based Divorce

The state of Mississippi has outlined specific faults for which there are legal grounds for a divorce.

The grounds for a fault-based divorce is as follows:

  • Natural impotency
  • Adultery
  • Sentenced to penitentiary
  • Desertion for one year
  • Habitual drunkenness
  • Habitual drug use
  • Habitual cruel and inhumane treatment
  • Insanity at the time of marriage
  • Married to another at the time of marriage
  • Pregnancy of the wife by some other person at the time of the marriage
  • Statutory incest
  • Incurable insanity.

If you or someone you love is currently experiencing these unhealthy actions from their spouse, it may be time to get the help you need to file for a divorce. Don’t live in fear or an environment of abuse. There is hope for a brighter future.

Get Our Help in Proving Fault

If you believe there are faults in your marriage that may be legal grounds for divorce, don’t wait another minute to get the help and support you deserve. Divorce is never easy, but with our help, you will can rest assured knowing you are not alone. With over 60 years of experience, the Law Offices of Malouf & Malouf, PLLC possesses the legal acumen to navigate even the most complex divorce cases.

Call our divorce lawyers in Jackson for a confidential consultation at (601) 522-2222 or fill out a case evaluation online.